A story of going from being a non-runner to planning for a marathon in three years...

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Full Scoop


Attendance at my lunch time strength classes has been dwindling (especially on Thursdays) but that doesn't mean I'm slacking myself! Nope, I'm still diligently putting together workouts. Sometimes I have the chance to try them out in advance and sometimes I don't. Either way, it's fun!

For this week's workout I wanted to focus on abs but not neglect the compound moves that I love so much. By combining several workouts I ended up with this:

Pin It


We only went through it once in class but you could definitely feel the burn in the abs!

In case you're a visual learner, here are some links to the moves:
Chest Fly with Bridge
Rope Climber Crunches

Cuban Shoulder Press


V-Sit with Twist

Bent Over Dumbbell Row
Reverse Crunch
Bicep Curls with Lunge
Side Plank
Squat w/Tricep Extension
Forearm Plank

I'm especially into dumbbell based workouts right now because, well, in about two months I'm planning to give up my gym membership.

Why, you ask?

Because in two months I'm moving to an apartment building that has its own gym!

This is not the gym. This is just a tribute


The gym isn't huge but it has some cardio equipment and some dumbbells, which are key. It's going to be an adjustment (and I'd better get my swimming practice in sooner rather than later!) but it's one I'm looking forward to.

Our new place will be approximately 15 minutes from my office meaning my commute will be 30 minutes shorter. Meaning more time to workout! And it's still close enough to where we live now that I can hop on the train or grab my car and make it back in time for group runs with my running club.

In the mean time, in between coming up with new body weight and dumbbell based strength training workouts I'll be getting in lots of cross-training in the form of packing. Ugh. Packing. It will all be worth it, though!